Tuesday, January 16, 2007

My Visit to Los Cuadros! (This post is a little late...Sorry!)






















Wow! What an awesome weekend I have had! For all of you who don't know...We have 2 churches here in the country of Costa Rica. One of them is in Pavas which is Pastor Blake's church. That is the church that we usually attend every Sunday. It is about 20 minutes away from where we live. The other church is in Los Cuadros which is about 30-35 minutes away. Pastor Dustin got here last week and on Sunday he preached at the Los Cuadros church and all of us got to go with him!!!! I was sooo very excited to find out that I was going to get to go to that church!!! It was truly like Christmas for me! Los Cuadros is a very dangerous place with a lot of drug use and violence. So Mario has been very hesitant to take us there. But it has been something I've been wanting to do for a very long time. The people there were very sweet people and they had so much joy and happiness. The service was great, I think about 50 people fit into this little room. The place was packing out so they had to bring in other benches and seats so more people could fit! Pastor Dustin did an awesome job preaching and many people filled the altars and the power of God moved through that place. After the service we went to the "Ranchos" which are the very poor areas of this country. These people live in tin shacks and dirt floors. There is sewer water runing everywhere and burning trash all around so it smells awful. But enduring the smell was definitley worth it to see how these people live and where they live. Pastor Dustin told me it takes about a day to build one of their shacks. And they just find a spot and build it out of sheets of old, beat up tin. One lady has some "land" in her back yard which is very fortunate to have and she has chickens, geese and a few dogs. We all got to hold a baby chick and she gave them as a gift to all the kids but Mario & Dee said no...Thank Goodness! :) When we were leaving the little kids were up on the hillside waving goodbye to us and saying "you are our friends and God Bless You"! It was the cutest thing ever! I'm very thankful that I got to experience this. It put such a fire and a real excitement inside of me that I can't explain! The people I met really seem to have joy and are content even with what they don't have. They are blessed because they have the 1st most important thing which is Jesus Christ living inside of them. Sometimes I think we get so caught up in life we don't look at what we do have and how blessed we are and that we have Jesus Christ. Really that's all we need to make it!

2 comments:

Chantelly said...

Hey Jess, that is so excting that you finally got to go to Los Cuadros! It's awesome because that pic with P.Dustin and that lady and her daughter, I met her while I was there and we went to her house. It's great to see that she is still going there! Wow, thats stirring. Love you

Anonymous said...

great pics! great pics/ (i repeated that on purpose for everyones information!!!!!!!!!!!! ) what is wrong with baby chics!? glad you got to go the the other church. an opportunity for sure! God is good. we do focus waaaay to much on the things lacking in importance. we are a goofy people. thanks for a great update. we love you and keep you in prayer. tell all hello. i hear the santistevans are doing well and very involved in one of the churches! yeah. tell them i said hi too. np